Hot Rod Clubs

Club

1932 – Outriders

Club

1936 – L.A. Gophers Car Club

The Gophers was car club out ofLos Angeles,California. The club is as far as we know not mentioned in any publications until 1968, but it is said to be established in 1936. The Gophers Car Club of Los Angeles were SCTA members. (http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Gophers)

Club

Pre 1937 – Ramblers

Club

Pre 1937 – Night Owls

Club

Pre 1937 – Flyers

Club

Pre 1937 – Ridge Runners

Club

Pre May 1937 – 90 M.P.H. Club

Club

Pre 1937 – Aristocrats

Club

1937 – Hollywood Throttlers

The Throttlers Car Club of Hollywood was founded between 1932 – 1935. Jack Morgan was the first president. By the fall of 1937 the Throttlers had a club house located at7629 Santa Monica Blvd.The first known picture of a Throttlers club plaque was taken in 1937. By mid 1938 the club counted 5 members.(http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Hollywood_Throttlers)

Club

1937 – San Diego Road Ramblers

placeholder-hotrodclubs

1938 – Road Rebels

The Road Rebels Car Club of Los Angeles was formed in 1937 by Jack Peters, Bill Burke, Joe Hunt, Bill Hunt, Joe Reath, Tomo O’Mara, Bob Avery and Bruce Snitzler. The guys used to hang out at Pat’s Pantry, just down the street from Manual Arts on Western and Santa Barbra.

In April, 1938 the Road Devils started the Western Timing Association (WTA). The WTA meetings were held at 8:00pm every Monday night at Western and 54th inLos Angeles. (http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Road_Rebels)

 

Club

1938 – Sidewinders

Club

1938 – Gear Grinder S.C.T.A.

Club

1939 – Night Flyers Roadster Club

Sierra Madre, later Pasadena, http://flyerscc.com/history.php

Club
Club

1946 – Century Toppers

Several automobile clubs have been named the Century Toppers through the years. The most known group is the Modesto Century Toppers that were formed in 1946 inModesto,California. (http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Century_Toppers)

Club

1952 – The Rebels Rod and Custom Club

Jeffersonville, Indiana. The Rebels Rod and Custom Club, made up of members from Louisville, Jefferson and New Albany was accepting additional members who owned a rod or custom. Prospective members should expect their record in the local traffic court to be checked, along with their vehicle. Three-quarters majority was required in order to enter as a new member. The club held about three reliability runs each summer, and planned for a custom show in the future. The Rebels also aimed to have all members be in the NHRA. Rodding and Re-Styling APRIL 1956.

Club

1954 – Knights Auto Club

The Knights Auto Club of Oakland CA started with nine High School car enthusiasts in May 1954. Meetings were held every Tuesday evening at a members home or garage.Appropriate dues and fines were in place. The membership grew to over 40 Street Rod, Custom, Drag Race and Show car participants. The members built and raced four clubcars over the years both Drag and Bonneville. The club folded in 1967. Many friendships continue with occasional reunions.

Club

1954 – RPMs Auto Club

Jackson County, MO. Donald R. Elliott, General Delivery, Bruckner, MO wrote “My club is called the RPMs Auto Club, and is unique, I think, in that it is composed of all types of auto enthusiasts from as least seven towns and cities in Jackson County, Mo. Hot rodders predominate, and so we chose for our club emblem the front-end view of the classic hot rod, the ’32 Ford. A couple of members drive customs though, and there are several sports car enthusiasts in the bunch.” The club was organized in December 1954 and ran a number of events. Stressing “skill in driving.” They became affiliated with the Kansas City Timing Association, the “parent club” of their local hot rod groups and together aimed for getting a Kansas City dragstrip. They published a monthly news bulletin called The Tachometer to keep everyone abreast of activities. Most of the RPMs drove “fairly stock Detroit iron, although generally of distinctly high performance.” Officers served six-month terms. In 1956 officers included President Don Elliott; Vice President and Activities Chairman Ted Magee; Secretary Forrest Ballinger; and Treasurer Dough Mainard. Rodding and Re-Styling MARCH 1956.

Club

1954 – Tri-City Timing Club

Albany, N.Y. The Tri-City Timing Club, including the cities of Troy, Schenectady and Albany, was founded for those interested in making cars faster and safer. Rodding and Re-Styling JUNE 1956

Club

1955 – Road Jockeys

Wilmington, Del. The Road Jockeys of Wilmington were founded in 1955. They later joined the NHRA and worked with two other Wilmington clubs, the Knights de la Rue and the Road Wranglers, to get a dragstrip for the state of Delaware. Rodding and Re-Styling MARCH 1956.

Club

1955 – Juniors Queen’s Rods

Queens, NY. The club held a reliability run on November 20th, 1955 with 14 cars, including “some of LITA’s Rodpipes, the Queens’ Rods, Rods United and various others.” Three awards were given and a free grease job donated by Gleason’s Service Station in Long Island City. John Acari of the Board of Directors reported that the runs were a considerable success. Rodding and Re-Styling MARCH 1956.

Club

1955 – The Piston Poppers of Poland

Poland, OH. The Piston Poppers of Poland was founded in September, 1955 by Pat De Gross and Denny Krake, and was sponsored by the mayor of Poland as well as the Poland Police Department. Their advisor, Jack Countryman, was a member of the Sports Car Club of America and was “very active in the sports car circuits.” The club’s goal was a dragstrip and gaining the approval of the people of the village of Poland. The president of the club was Henry Fineberg. Rodding and Re-Styling MAY 1956

Club

1955 – Fountain Road Kings

Fountain Hill, PA. The Fountain Road Kings operated out of the local police headquarters building in Pennsylvania. A reporter for the club, Robert M. Hoffman, was put into office in September 1955 and suggested that “every club should have such an officer as it relieves the secretary of a lot of work.” Rodding and Re-Styling JUNE 1956.

Club

1956 – Piston Pushers

Sacramento, CA. Secretary of the Piston Pushers of Sacramento says that the club of 12 was getting a good start in 1956 and hoped to get in touch with other Piston Pushers clubs in the USA. Rodding and Re-Styling APRIL 1956.

Club

1956 – Dragmasters Auto Club, Inc.

Woodland, CA. The was comprised, in 1956, of 27 active members, all in high school, and 100% of them members of the NHRA, according to Secretary Neal Pert. They met every Tuesday at 7:30pm with a work hour afterwards. The club held a party once every two months including a public dance whose proceeds went to the March of Dimes. Sponsors included the Woodland Police Department, Woodland 20-30 Club and Bill Lewis, owner and operator of a local service station. Rodding and Re-Styling MARCH 1956.

Club

1956 – King Dragsters

Brooklyn, NY. Alan Lash founded (and headed!) the King Dragsters on January 1st, 1956. If members did not have a car, they were still expected to know something about them. The rules included once a week meetings, three month car checkups, and that each car was equipped with a first aid kit. The club had a desire to be in the Drag Safari and operated in Brownsville and the Eastern sections of Brooklyn. Rodding and Re-Styling MAY 1956

Club

1956 – Juniata Road Knights

Juniata Count, PA. Secretary of the Juniata Road Knights, C.W. Pollock wrote that club was dedicated to safety and highway courtesy. The club was still in the process of becoming organized and developing public relations in 1956 but did have an increasing membership. The dues were set at $.50 a month “with a system of fines” in effect on the highways and at all club activities. Meetings were held in the club meeting room in Mifflintown, PA. The club members owned both customized and hopped-up cars. Rodding and Re-Styling APRIL 1956.

Club

1959 – Rod Riders Racing Team

First President was Bruce Geisler in 1959. http://www.rodridersracing.com/